“Ceres” Search Foundation install error in Exchange 2013 SP1

When deploying the RTM build of Exchange 2013 SP1, I found that one of my servers was throwing an error I hadn’t seen before during installation. (The error message itself is below for reference,) I found few other reports, although KB article 2889663 reports a similar problem with CU1 and CU2, caused by a trailing space in the PSModulePath environment variable. That wasn’t the problem in my case. Brian Reid mentioned that he’d had the same problem a few times, and that re-running setup until it finished normally was how he fixed it. So I tried that, and sure enough, the install completed normally. In most cases I wouldn’t bother to post a blog article saying “this problem went away on its own,” but the error seemed sufficiently unusual that I thought it might be helpful to document it for future generations.

Warning:
An unexpected error has occurred and a Watson dump is being generated: The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
            if ($RoleProductPlatform -eq "amd64")
            {
                $fastInstallConfigPath = Join-Path -Path $RoleBinPath -ChildPath "Search\Ceres\Installer";
                $command = Join-Path -Path $fastInstallConfigPath -ChildPath "InstallConfig.ps1";
                $dataFolderPath = Join-Path -Path $RoleBinPath -ChildPath "Search\Ceres\HostController\Data";

                # Remove previous SearchFoundation configuration
                &$command -action u -silent;
                try
                {
                    if ([System.IO.Directory]::Exists($dataFolderPath))
                    {
                        [System.IO.Directory]::Delete($dataFolderPath, $true);
                    }
                }
                catch
                {
                    $deleteErrorMsg = "Failure cleaning up SearchFoundation Data folder. - " + $dataFolderPath + " - " + $_.Exception.Message;
                    Write-ExchangeSetupLog -Error $deleteErrorMsg;
                }

                # Re-add the SearchFoundation configuration
                try
                {
                    # the BasePort value MUST be kept in sync with dev\Search\src\OperatorSchema\SearchConfig.cs
                    &$command -action i -baseport 3800 -dataFolder $dataFolderPath -silent;
                }
                catch
                {
                    $errorMsg = "Failure configuring SearchFoundation through installconfig.ps1 - " + $_.Exception.Message;
                    Write-ExchangeSetupLog -Error $errorMsg;

                    # Clean up the failed configuration attempt.
                    &$command -action u -silent;
                    try
                    {
                        if ([System.IO.Directory]::Exists($dataFolderPath))
                        {
                            [System.IO.Directory]::Delete($dataFolderPath, $true);
                        }
                    }
                    catch
                    {
                        $deleteErrorMsg = "Failure cleaning up SearchFoundation Data folder. - " + $dataFolderPath + " - " + $_.Exception.Message;
                        Write-ExchangeSetupLog -Error $deleteErrorMsg;
                    }
                }
            }
        " was run: "Error occurred while uninstalling Search Foundation for Exchange.System.Exception: Cannot determine the product name registry subkey, neither the 'RegistryProductName' application setting nor the 'CERES_REGISTRY_PRODUCT_NAME' environment variable was set
   at Microsoft.Ceres.Common.Utils.Registry.RegistryUtils.get_ProductKeyName()
   at Microsoft.Ceres.Exchange.PostSetup.DeploymentManager.DeleteDataDirectory()
   at Microsoft.Ceres.Exchange.PostSetup.DeploymentManager.Uninstall(String installDirectory, String logFile)
   at CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Type , Object , Object )".
About these ads

3 Comments

Filed under UC&C

3 responses to ““Ceres” Search Foundation install error in Exchange 2013 SP1

  1. Yep. This happened to me as well. Ended up having to run it three times before it succeeded.

  2. robichaux

    It’s intermittent; I wish I could find a solid repro for it.

  3. bdub

    Just happened to me – took 3 times as well. Was hung at 97% during the Mailbox Role: Transport section then produced the exact error as above. My install is on Windows 2012 R2 and Exchange 2013 with SP1. Thanks for the post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s